02 April, 2009

A Time for Renewal



"Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of any kind."-Genesis 9:14

The story of Noah and of the great flood is familiar, having heard the tale numerous times. I was always struck by Noah's great faith in God and his obedience. Would I be like Noah if God called on me to do something really big or impossible?

One of our Sunday scripture readings recently was the story of Noah and although I know the story by heart, it is as if this part, the part about the rainbow, was new and I was hearing it for the very first time.

We had our first spring thunderstorm recently. Fast-moving and brief, I was feeding horses when the storm arrived and by the time the horses had finished eating, the rain had stopped. As I turned the horses back outside, something in the horizon caught my attention.

A Rainbow.

It was there, right in front of me, right over the back pasture. I could not miss it.

Amazing.

And the words that I heard in church, about the sign, came back, flooding my senses. His covenant. His love for His creation. Still, thousands of years later, proof that God is in everything and everything is from God. What Noah saw, I was seeing. Did Noah marvel over the sign, as I marveled?

It got me to thinking about my covenant, my personal sign. Do I have one? How do I show my commitment to God? To my family? To my job? To my horses? How do I show everyone that I love and care for them?

Spring is here and as the earth is renewed with all her glory...so, too, I am committed to renewal, no matter how many storms rain upon my life, no matter how many clouds or how dark it may get, now matter how frightening the explosions of lightning may be. I will remember that after every storm, comes the rainbow and renewal.

Renewal.

Sounds like a big New Year's kind of resolution. You know, one of those really heavy concepts. Aren't we into 2009 by a few months already? Isn't it too late for renewal?

It is amazing how something very small can be made into something bigger. From one moment of gratefulness, springs another. And soon, life can be lived from one grateful moment to the next. Renewal comes from realizing how richly blessed we are, having a Creator who cares enough about us, that He created a rainbow to continually remind us exactly how much He loves us. Each and every one of us.

GOD LOVES YOU.

In that moment of great thanksgiving, something big happens. There you go....Renewal. And so, I walked over to where my horses were grazing and wrapping my arms around my mare's neck, I was genuinely grateful for the reminder that colorfully entered my life, at that moment.

EnJoy your horses and happy spring,
Ralph

1 comment:

Reya Mellicker said...

What a beautiful post!

I think Noah initially quarreled with God about building the ark. Most of the prophets, when initially contacted by God, say they're too old or they have a lisp or maybe somebody else would be better at the job.

Eventually they all see the light.

What makes you think that you aren't doing the work of God right now, with the horses and this blog and all the rest of your life? I say you are!

Happy weekend!