14 July, 2009

"What would you do if you weren't afraid?"


I recently read the book, Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson. The book, which is a parable, tells the story of 2 mice (Sniff and Scurry), 2 people (Hem and Haw), a maze and some cheese. The story really isn't about these characters or the fact that their main desire in life is to locate a huge amount of cheese to eat. The story has more to do with personal empowerment and the choices that we make in life to grow and prosper, while embracing change. Inside this little book, is this tough little provocative question, which certainly got my attention, while the rest of the book did not. How liberating would it feel to let go of all of our concerns, anxieties, worries, fears, terrors, phobias and live life to its fullest potential? I don't think I can imagine this feeling or rather, the lightness of spirit one would experience, to let all of these fears just go.

I was riding the E-train from Wall Street to mid-town, on my way to a meeting. I was preoccupied, thinking of the dreadful flies and wondering about small stuff, like whether my mare had her fly mask on, rather than what I needed to focus on, like my stop or annual usage, basis weights and masters. Out of nowhere, I notice the sign overhead, a public service announcement for the NYC Library:
"I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy, playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst a great ocean of truth lay as undiscovered before me." Isaac Newton

I was stunned, as if this billboard was written especially for me. Did someone know that I was going to be riding on the train today? As is so often happening this summer, I felt my whole world turn upside down. What is a "great ocean of truth"? Is that something like not seeing the forest for the trees?

If you have been following this blog, you will understand that I am on a personal journey, a self-discovery, to find where I really belong in life. Sometimes, I wonder how I ended up in this dry place, this spot in my life that I now find myself. I mean, how did I really get here? Do you know? Most times, I feel like I have committed a very big sin and I find myself here, because I am being punished for it. I want to cry

"UNCLE!"
please,
enough,
stop it already...

Life is really difficult sometimes but is it life or is it us making life more challenging? Where is the great ocean of truth? Am I at the shoreline of this ocean, too afraid to jump in and go for a swim? Distracting myself with the occasional seashell, when something even more wonderful, more incredible, more extraordinary than the seashell lies before me? And what about this question, "What would you do if you weren't afraid?"

Well, I love Egyptian Arabian Horses and I love dressage. I dream about filling my life with more of this, than anything else. I like the training journey and the structure/discipline of the journey. I enjoy developing a relationship with a horse. It’s electric. When you work closely with a horse, everything changes, between the horse and the person. The horse is closer. Not physically closer but closer in spirit, in the mind. There is a dialogue that happens between horse and rider, which is founded on trust, harmony and unity.

So what would I do, if I was not so afraid? I would like to take advantage of the uniquely people-loving attributes of the Arabian Horse, to offer others the opportunity to develop a close bond with a loving horse. To establish a safe and loving place, which encourages people and inspires them, opening their eyes to become more aware of the incredible and wonderful beauty that is always happening. Imagine using the horse to enlighten people about this great miracle we receive on a daily basis. A great miracle? Yes, LIFE is the great miracle and I hope that I am not too afraid to embrace it, for all it is worth.

Happy summer you all,
Ralph

2 comments:

Tzviah said...

Go for it, Ralph if this is what you really want.
I've learned that if you believe in and live your dream, no matter how illogical it looks from the practical point of view, the universe supports you and things always work out for the best, although not always in the way you would expect them to.

laurence said...

and then name your blog:
"with the love of " and no longer "for the love of..."
because it seems you are getting there, letting their powerful spirit enlighten and ...save....your own soul.

Your palm on their jibbah, your nose breething in their nostrils, close your eyes...are you sure you want to leave this? No...simply live for this...

nothing else really matters...