27 August, 2009

Mothers and Daughters

Well, I keep walkin' with my head held high,
with my head to the sky,
with my mother's eyes.-from the song, In My Mother's Eyes
My friend, Tzviah Idan and her partner, Kuti Aharon bred the above filly, Atiq Sofha Dereh. She was sired by Nader al Jamal, an Ansata Sinan son out of Savannah CC (Thee Desperado x Miss Maggie Mae). Her mother, Atiq Sofsof, was also bred by Kuti and Tzviah. As a matter of fact, Tzviah was present at the time of the foaling and chose the name Sofsof, which in Hebrew means "finally". Back in 2004, Sofsof was the first filly foaled at Idan Atiq Arabian Stud, after a series of 5 colts, one right-after-another-after-another. Al Maraam is Sofsof's sire and the Babolna mare, 230 Ibn Galal I, is her dam. Sofsof is Idan Atiq's blond beauty. She is gorgeous. Tzviah and Kuti imported 230 Ibn Galal I in 2000, already an aged mare. Her dam is 211 Zohair (Zohair I x 28 Farag). Tzviah tells me that many considered 211 Zohair to be one of the most beautiful straight Egyptian mares ever bred by Babolna. I believe it. In the archives for June 2006, you will find the article for Something in the way she moves... , which is about the mare, Taghira B, who is also a daughter of 211 Zohair. The dam of 211 Zohair, 28 Farag is a full sister to the Imperial mare, Pharrah. The tail female of this mare is 9 Tamria, a *Tuhotmos daughter out of the Nazeer daughter, Kamar. Over the years this bloodline has become not only influential but treasured by breeders all over the world.

The other day, I was speaking with another friend, Mari Silveus about my mare, Princeton Maarena. Mari bred the only daughter that Princeton Maarena foaled: SunnyRu Maarena. When "baby Maarena" was shipped to her new home in California, to join her mother, both mares started to immediately call to each other, even before "baby Maarena" got off the van. She knew she was home. She knew who would be waiting. She knew that the one individual who mattered most in her life would be there, ready to welcome her, to love her, to tell her how wonderful she is and how much she missed her. They ran up to each other, anticipation and joy twitching through every muscle, ever fiber of their body, the electricity of the reunion, charging the atmosphere. With necks bowed and touching noses, still calling out to each other; joy so apparent in their eyes, it was as if they said,

"Where have you been my long-lost daughter?!? Where have you been my long-lost mother?!? Where have you been!?!!?"
So, with this story, heavy on my heart, I was stunned when Tzviah told me about the bond that mothers and daughters share in her 230 Ibn Galal I family.Atiq Sofsof and her dam, 230 Ibn Galal I loved each other until 230 Ibn Galal I died at the age of 26. Now Atiq Sofsof is the same way with her daughter Atiq Sofha Dereh. Although Sofha has now been weaned from her dam they do not like being apart from each other. They are still attached, mother-to-daughter and daughter-to-mother.
Kuti Aharon named this filly Sofha Dereh, which in Hebrew, is like an American expression that we use when something is so phenomenal, so incredible, it is "out-of-sight". When Tzviah emailed me the pictures of her new foals, my eyes were immediately drawn to Sofha's pictures. Her quality oozed out of the pictures and captured my attention. Like Tzviah told me, it is too impossible to ignore her. Her silhouette, even at a young age is classical, with unbelievable refinement. I can't imagine how much nicer she will become as she grows into all of her parts.
" Just like her mom she knows she's got the kind of face that no one can resist, and is just as sweet and charismatic, with the wonderful tail carriage and movement of this family, and great balance, thanks to her sire."
Congratulations Tzviah and Kuti, not only for a marvelous filly like Sofha but also for the next Nader foal out of Sofsof. FINALLY!!!

EnJoy your horses,
Ralph


All the beautiful pictures were taken by Menashe Cohen, a wonderful photographer who is able to not only capture the very spirit of these horses but everything that makes them an Arabian. Thank you Menashe!

No comments: