20 February, 2011

Something about inspiration...

A long time ago, I saw a Babson-Halima horse and fell madly in love with her. She was a real live beauty. And because of her, I looked for others and soon noticed, that this bloodline consistently produced horses closer to my own vision of classic Arabian Horse type. I wanted to enjoy the same success and level of satisfaction that Judi Forbis or Walter Schimanski enjoyed. I wanted to breed these horses too! However, I soon realized that this combination was already widely popular, with many breeders and the Babson-Halimas that I could breed and raise, utilizing pretty much the same bloodlines as others, would be exactly the same horses.

I would be doing nothing new.

Other than satisfying my own heart, these horses were already generously represented in the community. Why produce more horses, when so many unwanted horses are still desperately in need of a loving home?
I attended a conference last week and learned about Inspired Selling.  I found the definition of this term surprisingly interesting, especially when I strategically swapped the word "customer" for "horses".  
"Our customer's HORSES' needs inspire everything we do, because when they OUR HORSES succeed, we succeed."
When breeders experience monetary success, other enthusiasts will try and emulate this success with whatever kind of horse they are able to get their hands on, never considering if what they are trying to do, is in the best interest of their horse.
"If Mr. So and So sold his new foal for $250,000, I should be able to get at least that much for my foal, as this horse's grandsire's brother was a half-sibling to my foal's sire!"
Money usually pollutes all practical thought and pushes aside any moral responsibility that we should be feeling, when we bring new life into this world.As a community, we need to embrace and finally understand that not every horse deserves to be bred, regardless of how special this horse may be to us. Really, only a very small number of horses are superior, truly excellent, with the genetic strength to reproduce equal to or better than their level of quality. The rest should be enjoyed and loved for the individual they are; not for their ability to produce a $500 Craigslist advertised horse. We have way too many of those horses already.

"Do not be satisfied with mediocrity."-Pope John Paul II
I pray for the day when people will realize that there are other things to do with Arabian Horses than to breed them and create more Arabian Horses! Whether you are on his back or standing by his side, a relationship with an Arabian Horse will be your adventure of a lifetime!

EnJoy,
Ralph

*The photo of the nursing foal was taken by Christian Kessebohmer of Al Muntaha Arabians in Germany. Christian is a talented photographer, who breeds beautiful Egyptian Arabian Horses and Rhodesian Ridgeback dogs.

No comments: