12 January, 2011

Simeon Salit

Simeon Salit is a full sister to Simeon Shifran. This Stuart Vesty photo shows us many similarities between Simeon Shifran and Simeon Shalit, albeit in a feminine version, but can you see  Simeon Shifran, especially in her most wonderful neck, which meets the head in an angle to form a beautiful mitbah? I find it so deeply moving, when I find horses with a longer neck, as I would say that short, thick necks have become sadly, too common. Her skin is dark, heavily pigmented like her dam but the quality of the skin is such, that every anatomical feature in her head is accentuated. Look at the prominence of the bones in her face, as well as the detailing of her veins. Her jowls are huge, pronounced and complement the shape of her head, which is short and wide. Her eyes are phenomenal, not only for the placement of the eye on the head but also for the shape of the eye. Her eyes are gorgeous, black and lustrous, with no presence of white in them at all. Her nostrils are large and elastic, with not only a delicate shape; they are thin, not thick and meaty. Her mane hairs are long, silky, with a smooth texture. Her chest is wide and nicely muscled, which conveys a mare who is not only stunning for her breed type but also, substantial and built to be functional.  I can only dream of her tail-flagging, electric floating movement.

I looked at her pedigree a little more closely, as I recognized qualities that I have observed in other horses. What is the common ground between Shifran, Salit and some of my most favorite Egyptian horses? 

FARIDA BLOODLINE ALERT!

I realized that Simeon Salit has multiple lines to the mare Farida, through the mares Halima (3 times) and Dahma II. Simeon Salit has an overall smoothness and strength in her neck, which I know comes from this mare. I imagine that her hip is deep and that she is powerfully smooth over the connection of the hip, loins and croup. No surprise to see Farida on both sides of the pedigree. I see the influence of this mare cross over into every generation and she remains relevant, even in the present day.

We have spent some time reflecting on authenticity, over the last few weeks and I can't find a better example to illustrate what authenticity will look like, in a more contemporary version.

EnJoy,
Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment