05 September, 2009

The Story of Atiq Sofsof and Atiq Sofha Dereh


Atiq Sofha Dereh (Nader al Jamal x Atiq Sofsof)
Atiq Sofha Dereh is sired by Nader al Jamal, an Ansata Sinan son out of Savannah CC (Thee Desperado x Miss Maggie Mae). Her dam, Atiq Sofsof, whose name means "finally" in Hebrew, was the first filly foaled at Idan Atiq Arabian Stud, after a series of 5 colts, one right-after-another. Al Maraam is Sofsof's sire and the Babolna mare, 230 Ibn Galal I, is her dam. Tzviah and Kuti imported 230 Ibn Galal I in 2000, already an aged mare. Her dam is 211 Zohair (Zohair I x 28 Farag). Tzviah tells me that many considered 211 Zohair to be one of the most beautiful straight Egyptian mares ever bred by Babolna. The dam of 211 Zohair, 28 Farag is a full sister to the Imperial mare, Pharrah. The tail female of this mare is 9 Tamria, a *Tuhotmos daughter out of the Nazeer daughter, Kamar. Over the years this bloodline has become not only influential but treasured by breeders all over the world.
Atiq Sofsof with 230 Ibn Galal I
Atiq Sofsof and her dam, 230 Ibn Galal I loved each other until 230 Ibn Galal I died at the age of 26. Now Atiq Sofsof is the same way with her daughter Atiq Sofha Dereh. Although Sofha has now been weaned from her dam they do not like being apart from each other. They are still attached, mother-to-daughter and daughter-to-mother.
"Just like her mom she knows she's got the kind of face that no one can resist, and is just as sweet and charismatic, with the wonderful tail carriage and movement of this family, and great balance, thanks to her sire."
Kuti Aharon named this filly Sofha Dereh, which in Hebrew, is like an American expression that we use when something is so phenomenal, so incredible, it is "out-of-sight". When Tzviah emailed me the pictures of her new foals, my eyes were immediately drawn to Sofha's pictures. Her quality oozed out of the pictures and captured my attention. Like Tzviah told me, it is too impossible to ignore her. Her silhouette, even at a young age is classical, with unbelievable refinement. I can't imagine how much nicer she will become as she grows into all of her parts.

All the beautiful pictures were taken by Menashe Cohen, a wonderful photographer who is able to not only capture the very spirit of these horses but everything that makes them an Arabian. Thank you Menashe!

No comments:

Post a Comment