18 March, 2019

Maarena

Maarena, a chestnut straight Babson Egyptian mare was a daughter of Fabah, out of the mare Fada.  Maarena was bred twice to Ibn Fa Serr, and from this breeding, Serr Maariner and his full sister, the chestnut AK Bint Maarena were produced. In the brochure for the Pyramid Society Breeder's Sale I, held in 1982, Homer Watson wrote:
"When we sold Maarena in 1972, they wanted to choose a mating which I felt would produce a foundation-quality mare or a stallion prospect. It took me about two seconds to decide on Ibn Fa Serr. He's been so great on Fabah daughters. Bint Maarena was the resulting foal. David Gardner took Maarena out one time, showed her to Champion Mare, and turned her back out. It didn't surprise me that she won. She was carrying Bint Maarena at the time."
In addition to the 2 full siblings (Serr Maariner and AK Bint Maarena) sired by Ibn Fa-Serr, Maarena was also bred to the new Egyptian stallion, *Ibn Moniet El Nefous  and produced the full siblings:  AK El Maalouf, a gray stallion that went to Deep Meadow Farm in Virginia, the chestnut, very Babson-like, AK El Zahra Moniet, who also went to Virginia, to Akid Arabian Stud and the grey AK Monareena whom I met on a late winter's day, in Pennsylvania at the farm of Dr. David Newcomer. I had loved this particular mare, since she was consigned by Imperial Egyptian Stud to the Bluebonnet sale in the mid-eighties.

AK Monareena
She was 18 years old when I met her, even more beautiful than I remembered. She had a most expressive head with large eyes, fully and deeply black. Her body was of good proportions, as she had the substance that Babson horses are known for and yet, she was elegant because of the refinement that *Ibn Moniet El Nefous contributed to the cross. She was harmonious because everything looked like it belonged on her body. There was a point when I handed the lead rope over, watching her walk away from me and I was overwhelmed with the view from behind. Even though she had foundered, she had such elegant movement, underscored by her tail carriage. She was one of the most beautiful mares that I ever remember meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment