07 December, 2019

A Star Fell From Heaven


Maybe you didn't know Carolyn Woody Jacobson and for that dear reader, I am truly sorry, as you missed the opportunity to know a spectacular human being.  I don't even know how many horses have benefited from Carolyn's assistance because she helped so many horses, of all shapes, sizes and breeds. The number is not only staggering but speaks volumes of her commitment to and love for all horses and specifically, the straight Babson Egyptian Arabian horse.

I don't even remember how I stumbled upon Carolyn's story. I think it was after she had been diagnosed with ALS but with her help, I edited her story into a form for which I had hoped at the time, would be a magazine article honoring this very special horsewoman.
"You absolutely have my permission to write about my best boy. I was just talking to him yesterday. He’s buried right outside his stall and the daffodils planted there are starting to fade already. Please don’t think I’m too crazy, but I always talk to him."
I learned unexpectedly today, that Carolyn died. I knew that she wasn't well but that's what made Carolyn so special. While life was hard for her, it was more important for Carolyn to know how I was doing, how I was feeling. She always thought of others, before she thought of herself. I think that this term is called by some, agape, and Carolyn practiced it all the time.

I so wanted her to see this article in print, while she was alive, so that she knew of the difference that she was making not only in horses' lives but in the lives of people. Her kind and generous example, combined with her love of the horse, so inspired me. I wanted to be more like her, knowing that it would not be possible but even if I was more like her for 10% of the time, I knew that I would be a better human being for it.

And so dear reader, below is the charming story of a real horse lover, in her own words and I hope that today, as you read about Carolyn's life, you will lift your voice to the sky and express thanksgiving that He blesses us with people like Carolyn sometimes. I hope that this blog will be equally encouraging and inspiring for you, as it continues for me to this day.

After a career teaching high school French and having moved to Atlanta, Georgia from Texas; my long-held childhood dream was finally realized at the age of thirty-nine! An Anglo-Arabian trained as a dressage horse and aptly named Beau Rouge came into my life. I distinctly remember his former owner, Gwen Anderson, telling me that Beau's sire was the Babson stallion Nadbar (Ibn FaSerr x Serabah) and at the time I had no earthly idea what “Babson” meant but would soon find out. Boarding at an Arabian dressage barn in the late 1980's I learned of a talented Babson Egyptian Arabian stallion named Serr Maariner, the first Arabian to earn a USDF Gold Medal in Grand Prix Dressage. Intrigued by the Egyptian pedigrees of the horses imported by Henry Babson; I vowed to someday visit the Babson Arabian Horse Farm in Illinois. While I was accompanying my husband on a trip to Chicago in 1993, I rented a car and drove 100 miles to Dixon, Illinois.

Losing Beau Rouge to colic in 1991 was a soul crushing experience and all these years later, I still believe that it was Beau who guided me to the Babson Farm. Having already spoken to John Vogel, manager of the Babson Farm, who assured me that he had a yearling son of Serr Rou available; I was excited beyond belief as I drove through those historic gates. From the iconic stallion barn to the sixty plus mares grazing lazily on that warm August day, it was heaven! I received a comprehensive tour of the Farm by Assistant Manager Roger (John and Amy were on their honeymoon). Seeing senior sires Mahrouf and Serr Rou, junior sire Mah Deluque, up and coming sires Serrperlative and Serrpramacy, and all the mares was a once in a lifetime experience.

Three colts were for sale that year: the chestnut yearling that John had described, a lovely bay colt that had been sold to Ralph Tebbe and another chestnut colt beautifully marked with a star, strip and snip who reminded me of Beau Rouge. When the chestnut colt came up to the fence to greet me, well, I've always believed in love at first sight! The colt’s name was Mahroufs Hafid. He was a Mah Deluque son, out of Bint Serr Abba. This combination had proved to be a successful nick and was repeated four times! After looking him over, the only thing left to do was write the check. I was smitten and I returned the next day to get acquainted with my new Babson horse. A month later, Equine Express delivered Mahroufs Hafid to his new home in Georgia. I had initially intended to use Hafid on my Thoroughbred mare, to breed Anglo-Arabs but after my visit to the Babson Farm and through study, I realized how few in number were the straight Babson Egyptian Arabian horses. I knew what I had to do and my mind was made up. I would breed Babson horses. However, at that time Babson mares were quite costly and out of my price range. Hafid settled into a daily routine with my new Anglo-Arab TR Tempo. It would be Tempo who would become Mahrouf Hafid’s companion and teacher but they were never friends. In fact, Hafid would stand in his stall while I was grooming Tempo and smirk. I can only imagine what he was conveying to Tempo, "you know she likes me best!”

A wonderful trainer named Steve Martin came into our lives when we moved into our own facility, at Beaux Chevaux Farm in Alpharetta, GA. Steve had some trepidation about working with an Arabian stallion. Steve was trained by Michael Handler, the son of Hans Handler who was head of the Spanish Riding School of Vienna in the 1970's. Hafid was classically started, in long lines, before being ridden under saddle. How fortunate for both Hafid and me to be recipients of this classical training! Hafid's training progressed easily and he never refused anything asked of him. He was a most willing horse, who enjoyed his work. Like most Babson stallions, he was kind, sweet and amenable, fooling a lot of people into thinking he was a gelding. Hafid's mellow personality only validated the famous Babson temperament. Steve later admitted to me that Hafid was the smartest horse of any breed he'd ever taught. Hafid always made me proud, from winning a LOCAL hunter - jumper show to winning the El Ghorab Memorial Dressage Trophy at the Egyptian Event in 2003.

Finally, in 2000 I was blessed to acquire the lovely Babson mare Serrenade, from David Kirkpatrick, Mr. Babson's great-grandson. In 2003 Serr Habba joined my small SBE herd. As in all his other duties Hafid was obedient and easy going. Breeding Hafid was easy and I always said he would dismount any mare if he heard the crackle of a peppermint wrapper. He was a true gentleman with his mares.

I was at the barn every day, mucking stalls, feeding, turning out, etc. and he was always there, for twenty-three wonderful, unforgettable and fun-filled years. I have slept in his stall many times when he was sick, have trusted his surefootedness on tricky slopes, and we formed a bond that I miss every single day. He was so versatile and filled many roles, that is, a teacher, a dependable trail horse, a trusted schoolmaster and a partner. My students who, prior to meeting Hafid, said they could never ride a stallion, always dismounted with a huge smile on their faces!

Hafid's passing in November 2016 was not unexpected. He was diagnosed with Cushings and Equine Metabolic Syndrome in 2012 and spent 18 days at the UGA Vet Hospital. I was there with him every single day. After he was discharged, each day with him was a gift. He never suffered, it was like one day he was fine and the next day, he died. He is buried in his paddock and one day, my ashes will lie with him. Mahroufs Hafid was the captain of my heart. He wasn't by any means a perfect horse but he was perfect for me. He was my best friend, my confidant, and was always there for me in both good times and bad.

***This blog is lovingly dedicated to the memory of Carolyn Woody Jacobson and her beloved horse, Mahrouf's Hafid***

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Ralph for this Blessing ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this beautiful article on my sister. She was an amazing woman and I am grateful for the years we had together and so proud of the woman she was and the lives she touched with her kindness! Cat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this. Carolyn was my mother-in-law and was a truly wonderful person. Her love for horses, especially Arabians, and her willingness to help save any horse in need, was her mission in life. As she told me soon after we became acquainted, her horses define who she is. She will be remembered with great love, fondness and, of course, sadness. I'm certain that her love of Hafid transcends all the other loves she's had in her life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this beautiful article of our beloved Carolyn Woody Jacobson ❤️
    Carolyn was responsible for helping me with my very first liberty clinic in 2011.
    RIP my beautiful friend . Love you Sylvia Zerbini

    ReplyDelete