28 December, 2020

2020: My Favorite Photos

January
When I saw this Suzanne Sturgill photo of Bellagio RCA (Alixir x Rhapsody in Black), I couldn't believe my eyes. "How is that even possible?" I remember asking myself. For the longest time, I believed that of all the coat colors, black horses are the most challenging to photograph. The photos never do the horse justice and often, when you finally see the horse in real life, he doesn't look anything like he looked in the picture. But that's not the case in this photo of a most extraordinary horse, as you are able to see the fully black, large and expressive eyes, as well as the definition of the veins and the prominence of the bone in Bellagio's face. His skin quality is super fine and accentuates all those dry qualities that we admire in the Arabian horse head, including his elastic and very beautifully shaped nostrils, which adorn a head that is short but broad. I derive alot of inspiration from this photo and thought that when you see it, dear reader, you would feel all the wonder and awe that I experience. Especially today, when all the fun and happy holiday times are behind us and we slog through the ice, snow and mud of January.

February
Nour Al Kamar MH embodies many of the tangible and intangible qualities we cherished in *Ansata Ibn Halima (Nazeer x Halima), for Nour Al Kamar MH is a balanced horse, close-coupled, with a strong and smooth top line, a beautifully shaped neck and that classic, short, wide head with large expressive eyes, set low in the head. And also like *Ansata Ibn Halima, Nour Al Kamar MH craves human attention and companionship. He is an affectionate horse, even playful, who enjoys a soothing voice and hand. Jody says, "don’t even think about walking by his stall without stopping to say hello, especially with a carrot in your hand.” Nour Al Kamar MH, in one horse, symbolizes the evolution of the ideal Rancho Bulakenyo Arabian horse; all the way from Dr. Felino Cruz's ideal Arabian horse, to the modern day horses that his son, Dr. Joseph (Jody) Cruz has bred, incorporating new bloodlines into the program like BintAzizaPrincess, the maternal grand dam of Nour Al Kamar MH. What can Nour offer straight Egyptian breeders? Jody says of Nour, "he sires lots of front end, necks, super bodies, tail and trot."
March
Nicole Sachs took many beautiful photos of El Thay Mameluk (Ibn Nazeema x El Thay Mansoura) over the stallion's lifetime. This photo, in its simplicity, is one of my favorite photos of him. A simple lead rope to do a simple task. No fancy jewelry, tassels, gemstones or any of the many trinkets we feel are necessary to "dress up" what is already, a masterpiece of creation. It would be like adding glitter to the portrait of the Mona Lisa, to make it more attractive. I never got to meet El Thay Mameluk in person. I only know of this horse because of Nicole's incredible photographic talent and the generosity of Sabine Von Elm to share this horse with the world. His large, fully black eyes are set lower in his short, wider head. His soft expression is enhanced by the prominence of bone and vein, suggesting a very fine skin quality. The width of his facial crest bone is very wide, conveying the quality that the Bedouin called "asalah". His ears are shorter, with sharp tips, while his nostrils are larger, with a beautiful shape. His expression is made even more powerfully dramatic by his profuse forelock. Will there ever be another horse as magnificent as he was, both inside and out?

April
I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have looked at this picture. Thousands? Millions? Billions? I lost count. Annesilnefous Ezzain, whose name means "the pleasure of the soul", is sired by NK Qaswarah out of NK Momtaza (Ibn Nedjy x Sanaya). Aneesilnefous looks a lot like his sire. There is no mistaking it. Of all the get NK Qawarah has sired at Ezzain, Aneesilnefous is the most like him. He is like his sire in terms of his strength, with the same wonderful strong points in his muscling, in his substance, in the prominence of the bone. As Qaswarah is beautiful, so is Aneesilnefous but his beauty is at a more dramatic level than his sire. Aneesilnefous is a more refined version of Qaswarah, thanks to the influence of his dam. I'll never forget him and this photo, takes me back 7 years ago, when I was fortunate to stand in his presence and admire him.

May
Carl Raswan once wrote, "the most perfect of Arabians then are the 'Muluq' (the Angel) Horses, who are not only physically the most beautiful and perfect, but who have one more feature, which is revealed in the "windows" (or mirrors) of their handsome heads: an expression in their eyes which proves that they are "thinking" (meditating), rational beings with a soul and not just subject creatures to serve us physically." Have you had the opportunity to purchase Judith Forbis' new book, Born to Reign? If you haven't, may I suggest that you move heaven and earth, to do whatever is possible, to purchase a copy before the book is no longer available. In the story of this mare's life, Judi will weave together a tale that will reintroduce the wonder and awe that may be missing from your life, in large part to all that we are currently living through. The eyes of *Ansata Bint Bukra and her descendants spoke volumes, without ever vocalizing one word. For me personally, the story of her life has brought deep reflection, at a time when I have needed it most. When I read Raswan's words, it's not that they didn't stand alone on their own merit, they did; I just did not have a visual that was equal to the power of his words, to make it real. It was actually something that Judi said in another book, about *Ansata Bint Bukra's daughter, Ansata Delilah, that started to bring real meaning to Raswan’s words. This particular photo inspired others too, like Peter Upton, who painted perhaps the most breathtaking portrait of any horse, which eventually would become the cover of Judi’s Born to Reign book. This particular photo has always been special to me, largely because of the expression on *Ansata Bint Bukra's face, magnified through her deeply black eyes. Whether you believe (or not) in Raswan's spiritual perspective regarding the Muluq horses; it’s OK, however, I promise you that *Ansata Bint Bukra's story will inspire you in a way that will even surprise you, as it did for me. In this time that we find ourselves, scared, alone and confronting the fragility of our own life, the truth is that we are not really alone and that God uses every opportunity, to raise our awareness of Him and His love for us. Miracles still happen, God continues to be our God and the Arabian horse still remains as one of God’s creation, as we are.

June
Bashar Al Kamar MH is a 2010 bay stallion, bred by Jody Cruz of Rancho Bulakenyo. His sire, Imperial Al Kamar, was representative of Imperial Egyptian Stud’s classic blend of bloodlines as he was a grandson of the Sameh daughter, *Serenity Sonbolah and through El Hilal, was also a grandson of *Ansata Ibn Halima. What I found interesting about Bashar's pedigree, despite the fact that he is a pure-in-the-strain Kuhaylan horse (and substrain, Kurush), is that *Ansata Ibn Halima exerts a larger percentage of influence genetically. Through El Hilal, Hossny, El Halimaar and Nazim Pascha, he represents 28% of the pedigree. Understanding the foundation of the Rancho Bulakenyo breeding program, I can't think of a horse who better represents the growth of the program from its inception, under Dr. Felino Cruz, to the present day, through Dr. Joseph Cruz's direction. Also, an important point to make about Bashar involves his heavily pigmented coat color. I have noticed that the Imperial Al Kamar-sired horses of this coat color, are different in body type from the grey-colored Kamar-sired horses. Jody says of Bashar, "he's best with mares having strong hind ends and solid toplines. He will add face, eyes, amazing ears and presence." It is hard not to get caught up in the excitement of this single moment and Bashar's electrifying presence, as captured through the camera of Christine Emmert.

July
One of the most beautiful mares that Gleannloch Farm ever produced was Neama, a 1976 daughter of *Nabilahh (Anter x Farasha), sired by *Sakr (*Sultann x Enayat). I still remember the ad that was placed in Arabian Horse World, in advance of the Pyramid Society Breeders Sales I. I was surprised to learn that Neama was offered for sale in June of 1982 by Gleannloch Farms with an Amaal colt at side and bred to *Soufian for a 1983 foal (a mare named Qastal). I believe she was purchased by the late Martha Murdoch of Rocaille Ranch in Texas. Neama produced a grey stallion, Rasheeq in 1988, by Shaikh Al Badi. Neama was also bred to The Minstril twice, to produce the full sisters: Neena in 1990 and Najimah in 1991. This is one of my favorite photos ever, taken by Randi Clark and brings me as much joy today, as when I saw it for the first time.

August
I haven't seen this photo in a long time and yet, one look at it and I can recall the feelings of awe and wonder that I felt, the first time I saw the photo. So many years (and horses) later and, I am still enchanted, in the same way as I was, all those years ago. This is Fair Sir, a 1978 chestnut stallion, bred by Charles and Jeanne Craver. In all the lines of his pedigree, he traced to horses that were imported to the USA, from the Arabian desert, by Homer Davenport in 1906. Fair Sir's sire, Sir, and his dam, Lady Fair were full siblings! Both were sired by the chestnut stallion, Tripoli and out of the grey mare, Dharebah, two important horses who are recognized as second foundation horses, thereby, Fair Sir is part of the group of horses recognized as Core Haifi (aka Kuhaylan Haifi strain). As closely bred as Tripoli and Dharebah were, Fair Sir himself, was bred back to his dam, resulting in Fairy Tale CF, a 1985 grey mare. Fair Sir was especially long lived; he was 30 years old when he died. In his lifetime, he sired 10 get: 7 fillies (Truly Fair, Marigold CF, Most Fair, Fairy Tale CF, Aureole CF, Kore CF, Iambe) and 3 colts (Thobe CF, Accolade CF, Mi Majest Prince).

September
As a 10-year old, I discovered The Black Stallion series of books, written by Walter Farley. As the oldest of 6 children, my parents could not afford to indulge my love of horses with the real thing and library books, like The Black Stallion were the only way I knew, to bring horses into my life. I don't remember which volume included this photo on the back of the dust jacket but I do remember the feeling of total amazement, upon discovering the photo. A paternal grandaughter of Indraff (*Raffles x *Indaia), Al-Marah Athena traced in her tail female line to Nejdme, one of the Syrian desert bred horses exhibited by the Hamidie Society at the Chicago World's Fair. An expressive golden chestnut mare, with a flaxen mane and large, liquid black eyes, perhaps this is why I am particularly drawn to horses of this color. Still, to this day, I see this picture and experience the same level of happiness, as I did in childhood.

October
There are very few equine photos that make me cry and this particular Polly Knoll photo of Serr Maariner (Ibn Fa-Serr x Maarena) is one of them. The photo was actually taken at East Freehold Park, a short distance from Princeton Arabians, to include the flowering pink blossoms that you see in the background. It’s really beautiful in the park at this time of the year (early May). Serr was always so dignified, regal, possessing a serious attitude. He was so focused and what made him happiest was his work. Serr had a very well defined sense of personal body space and you did not enter his space without asking or being invited by him. He was not the kind of horse who would bump you with his head to gain your attention, nuzzle you or shower you with other physical forms of affection, as some horses will. He was a bit aloof, maybe closer to the behavior of a cat and if he wanted a closer level of companionship, he always asked. If he didn’t ask, you knew to leave him alone. He demanded your respect and through experience, you learned what he liked and what bothered him. He didn’t like ‘baby talk’ or tongue clicking, and he didn’t appreciate uninvited hands touching him all over his body, especially hands that would linger on his muzzle, nostrils or chin. It took only one time for me to learn this and although I never made that mistake again, from that point on, I was convinced that he didn’t like me. In hindsight, I think that he really preferred women over men. No surprise, because of the close relationship/partnership he shared with Gail. I was 18 or 19 years old when I met Serr and I don’t think that I realized the opportunity I had at the time to see him as regularly as I did. I took him for granted. I treated him like that moment in time, as fleeting as it turned out to be, would last forever. Most of what I now understand about Serr, was learned in hindsight, through the memories I have of him. But all those lessons came much too late to make a difference in the relationship that I was trying to establish with him back then, in the mid-to-late 80’s. I can’t wish him back to life, so I could try all over again; he is gone forever, with no chance to thank him or to tell him of the difference that he made in my life. I want to believe that through his daughter, I was able to show Serr how much I had progressed in my equine understanding but still, I miss him and the chance to show him the respect I feel for him. I only wish to be as good of a human being, as he was at being a horse.

November
I don't remember when I first met Gari Dill-Marlow, because it felt like I had known her forever. In her company, whether in person, by phone or via email, you could always pick up on the last conversation, no matter how much time had passed. Gari had leased Rosemary Archer's Sa'lilah for breeding and bred her to the stallion, *Carmargue, hoping for a filly. Instead, a tall, leggy and magnificent bay colt was born, whom she named *Carmagnole. When I was working on the blog for *Sa'ika (*Carmagnole was his maternal brother), I stumbled on this particular photo of *Camargnole. Despite the number of cell phones, laptops and tablets that I have owned since Gari first sent the photo to me, I saved the photo.That's how much the photo means to me. Although *Carmagnole sired a daughter, *Carmagnole had very poor semen, approximately 10% motility. At the time, Gari was boarding *Carmagnole and because she had recently purchased *Rushan, she was trying to reduce her monthly horse expenses, in favor of *Rushan. *Carmagnole had been raced in England and had been shown at the British Nationals. Gari knew of my love of dressage and believed in *Carmagnole's ability to be the kind of partner I needed to grow in the discipline. Gari offered *Carmagnole to me, on one condition, that I geld him and show him. He was a huge horse, 16 hands and possessing a spectacular temperament (he loved to lick people, it was his favorite thing to do). At the time, with three small children, a sales career that involved commuting to NYC, I was afraid to take on such a responsibility but *Carmagnole could be the perfect Arabian horse to help me realize my USDF dreams. Tentatively, I accepted Gari's offer and started to contact shipping companies for the transport of *Carmagnole to New Jersey. However, about a week later, Gari called me with the tragic news. *Carmagnole had colicked and tragically, died. I remember the rollercoaster of emotions that I experienced at the time. I didn't personally know the horse but I grieved over the loss of all that Gari had told me about him. I really miss Gari. I depended on her wisdom, her unflappable spirit, her love of the Arabian horse and her ability to tell a good story. She loved *Carmagnole and there was no doubt in my mind that she would not offer such a wonderful horse to just anybody. I am honored that Gari chose to trust me with such an incredible horse.

December
The late Erwin Escher took this photo of Al Adeed Al Shaqab (Ansata Halim Shah x Sundar Alisayyah) at the 1999 Middle East Championships, when Al Adeed was named the Champion Stallion, shown by Michel Byatt. It's my favorite photo of Al Adeed, a young 4-year old stallion, on the threshold of greatness. At the time, I was filled with awe and wonder. How is a horse like this possible? Never, had I seen a horse more perfect than Al Adeed, who possessed a level of smoothness, harmony and classic type that was outrageous. He was the fairy-tale horse that you dreamed of at night and in the morning, you were surprised to learn that it was no dream, he was real. The world can be unsavory, cold and hard at times. Sometimes, in the face of great challenges, all we have can feel that it is not enough. Al Adeed’s beauty empowered us with courage, hope and faith, in the same way that an artistic masterpiece inspires us to live the kind of life that is equal to the beauty we see with our eyes. Al Adeed pushed the boundaries of possibility farther and wider than ever before, because physically, he was a reminder of what is possible. Now, 20 years later, I still experience the same feelings of awe and wonder when I see this photo. He remains timeless and a memory that I will forever treasure

 Many thanks to all of you. Without you, there would be no blog, as I derive great encouragement from all of your visits. I am looking forward to 2021 and uncovering more great stories of the horses we love most in the world. Best wishes for a happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment