21 May, 2021

My Cowboy's Getting Old

Ekstern, now 27 years old, with Lucjan Kulczynski, as photographed by Karolina Misztal

I think I found the most recent photos of Ekstern on the Michalow Facebook page. Today, the photos have been shared and reposted several hundred times, on a variety of different pages, each post resplendent in an amazing collection of emojis.  Ekstern possesses an amazing amount of charisma, enchanting Arabian horse lovers all over the world!  

In 1965, Frank Sinatra released the album titled, The September of My Years. At the time, Sinatra, about to turn 50, was at the height of popularity and this album, reflective in nature, explores the inner dialogue a man has, as he enters middle age. There is a song in the album, Last Night When We Were Young, and within the middle of the song, the lyrics say:
"Today the world is old 
You flew away and time grew cold 
Where is that star 
That seemed so bright?"
I couldn't stop thinking of this song as I looked at the photos that Karolina Misztal had taken. I was happy to see Ekstern but at the same time, I was sad because the photos do not lie, in the same way that  I do, in order to gain a few years here and there, despite the graying hair, wrinkles and saggy skin. I'm old and no number will change that fact. Ugh. The new Ekstern photos are very real and  present the reality of where we are in this moment. Ekstern has aged, just as I have aged and many others have aged. I mean, Ekstern looks great for 27 years and he is still the charismatic Arabian dream horse but he is not the horse that trots and prances in the Horsefly video that I love so much. That's the horse that I want to see, in the same way that I want to see the man on the other side of the glass that I used to know.  It took a very long time to be able to look at the photos without tears welling up in my eyes. I want Ekstern to live forever, like the family in that book I read once, Tuck Everlasting. 

Ekstern, now 27 years old, with Lucjan Kulczynski, as photographed by Karolina Misztal

In my opinion, Ekstern is one of those rare Arabian horses who appeal to a variety of people, regardless of bloodline. He is beautiful and for many people, the type of horse who immediately comes to mind, when you think, "Arabian".  As a show horse, Ekstern exuded charisma, winning the love of the audience, wherever he was shown. He was the Polish National Junior Champion in 1995, Polish National Senior Champion, All Nations Cup Champion and World Champion, all in 2000. Ekstern possesses unbelievable breed type, in a most harmonious way. He is close-coupled with a strong and smooth top line. He is well muscled, with a circular body that delivers the power for his electrifying movement. His head is short and wide, dry and elegant with the biggest, blackest eyes I have seen in a very long time, also with a inner sparkle that hints of an abundant joy that resides deep within this horse. He has great tail carriage, very fine, black pigmented skin, elastic nostrils that maintain a beautiful shape when fully dilated and short, tippy ears. He is a most photogenic horse but to capture the full essence of Ekstern, one must see him at liberty, where his physical beauty, his brilliant movement and engaging personality all come together in a most overwhelming way.

Despite a very pronounced Saklawi phenotype, in sire line, he is Kuhaylan, tracing from Monogramm-to-Bask-to-Witraz-to-Ofir, the Kuhailan Haifi son taken from Poland as a six year old. In tail female line, Ekstern traces through his dam, Ernestyna (Piechur x Erwina) to the *Naborr daughter, Estebna and from her, all the way back to Milordka, bred by the Sanguszko family of Slawuta Stud and foundress of Polish female family number 5. As Monogramm restored the *Bask line for Poland, *Naborr did the same for the Ibrahim sire line and it is especially touching to find both of these horses together, in what I feel is a unified Polish pedigree (pre-war & post-war). It is also interesting to consider that Dr. Edward Skorkowski, who strongly believed in maintaining a balanced breeding program to insure the survival of distinct strain types, considered Milordka a Saklawi strain mare, because she strongly embodied the characteristics of the strain. No surprise that her descendant, Ekstern, would also embody strong Saklawi type, as she did. 
Ekstern, now 27 years old, with Lucjan Kulczynski, as photographed by Karolina Misztal

As a sire, Ekstern has proven to be exceptional, with a record number of excellent daughters produced. Ekstern, in my opinion, despite siring Esparto, is one of the great broodmare sires, that is, a smaller number of genetically unique stallions, who only come once in a while and establish their influence through their daughters. Again, in my opinion, it is through the maternal side of the pedigree, where Ekstern will continue to exert his influence, long after he is gone from this earth. His daughters are unmistakably like him in phenotype, movement and spirit, with that "look-at-me" attitude. In 2016, the Ekstern daughter, Pepita, a very beautiful fleabitten mare, was sold at auction for $1.4 million Euros, a record price, at a time when horses are not selling easily. Other daughters that come to mind are Wilga, Palanga, El Emeera, Wieza Roz, El Ghazala, Laranda and Cenoza. It is almost impossible to capture all of his get within the limited amount of space in a blog. However, with that said, mention must also be made of his daughter, Ekliptyka, who produced the very exciting Champion stallion Equator (by QR Marc), an extremely popular horse who has dominated the show ring globally, through winning the affection of  many people all over the world, including myself.


***I've gotten more than a few emails about the title of this blog and I felt the need to clarify. My Cowboy's getting old is the title of a Tanya Tucker song. It's one of my favorite songs, as she shares the moment when she realized that her father was aging. My Dad, who is no longer alive, was my hero. He was larger-than-life and there was nothing that my Dad couldn't do, fix or make better. Seeing your Dad in a different way than that, can turn your world upside down. Same thing with Ekstern. In my mind, he will always be the perfect horse, the horse that I would wish for and the "Superman" of all horses. To come to the realization that he doesn't possess super powers to protect him and well, aging can affect him too, as it affects all of us; rips me apart inside because I know that the day is coming, when he will no longer be in this world. I apologize if you were offended, because you did not understand the meaning.***

No comments:

Post a Comment