10 September, 2022

The Desert Queen and a Princess

The beloved portrait of *Turfa, created by Peter Upton

*Turfa was one of four Arabians chosen by King Ibn Sa'ud to be part of a coronation gift for George VI. The gift was important to King Ibn Sa'ud, as he wanted to show his appreciation to the British people, for the hospitality and kindness extended to his son. It was a crazy time in England, as George's brother, Edward VIII had abdicated the throne in order to marry an American woman, Wallis Simpson and George became the successor to the throne. King George VI had originally intended for the people-friendly and charming *Turfa, to become his daughter's personal riding horse, however, *Turfa, at four years of age, was a young, charismatic mare, responsive to the lightest of aids and maybe, required a rider whose level of expertise in the saddle was more highly developed than that of young princess Elizabeth, who at age 25, upon her father's death, became Queen Elizabeth II. Imagine if *Turfa had remained with the young Princess, instead of her purchase by Brigadier General William H. Anderson? 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ralph,
    I wonder if you could write a piece on our beloved Maar-Ree and her family as well as your precious mare Princeton Maarena. Would love to hear your perspective on these incredible mares. Maybe post some photos.

    Would so appreciate it.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janie and thanks so much for posting a comment today. I really appreciate your kindness and generosity of spirit, as it makes the effort in continuing this blog worthwhile!
    A couple of things, in response to your requests:
    In 2009, I wrote a blog about Maar-Ree because you asked me if I could: https://egyptianarabian.blogspot.com/2009/03/maar-ree.html
    There has been a lot of information published about the Maar-Ree family of horses in books, like The Babson Retrospective and magazines, like Arabian Horse World. I'm remembering specifically an article about Maar Hala (maybe it was a Honi Roberts article?) that was originally published in AHW and later, Jody used as part of the literature he responded with, when someone requested information on the Rancho Bulakenyo breeding program. I don't think that I can offer any more information, beyond the information already published.

    In May of 2014, Samantha Mattocks of The Arabian Breeders Magazine published an article that I had written about Princeton Maarena. Normally, I try not to publish blogs on the subjects which are published in the magazine but in Maarena's case, the following blogs were different from the article, as I tried to come to grips not only with Maarena's death but also the death of Ms Rose, the year before. https://egyptianarabian.blogspot.com/2014/02/just-abucket-of-tribute.html https://egyptianarabian.blogspot.com/2014/03/love-and-rest-of-it.html https://egyptianarabian.blogspot.com/2014/08/godzilla.html https://egyptianarabian.blogspot.com/2014/11/barn-coat.html

    In 2018, I also wrote another lengthy article on Princeton Maarena's sire: Serr Maariner, which was also published by The Arabian Breeders Magazine. I'm very proud of that article. It's one of my best.

    It's very painful for me to write about Princeton Maarena, I just can't do it. I'm sorry. I feel like so many dreams also died with her that winter's day in 2014. So I hope you will understand why I am pointing you to previously written articles and blogs instead. Thank you for your support, positivity and enthusiasm. It means alot to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Ralph. I understand. My heart horse Finale has been dead for 44 years and it pains me to remember her. She was my everything. And I do remember your article on Maar-Ree. I know she did not breed on in the straight Babson's but her influence was beyond amazing. If she had only produced Maar Jumana who produced RDM Maar Hala, it has reserved her spot in the all time top producing Egyptian broodmares.

    I am very proud of what you have accomplished with these wonderful, educational, entertaining articles. I look forward to reading them and check everyday for them.

    Take care,

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete