13 March, 2023

The Vision of a Life Lesson

Life can really surprise you sometimes, especially when unrelated things seem to come together, to deliver a message in a most powerful way. While you may call it a "coincidence", it is still challenging to hold your composure when Ke Huy Quan, in his Oscar acceptance speech, points his finger right at you, while telling you to believe in your dreams, to keep them alive, to never give up. 

A month ago, Ariela Arabians posted the above Bar Hajaj photo to their Facebook page with the  following caption:

"When you have a dream (and vision...)

I have to be honest and tell you that when I first saw the photo, I wasn't so sure it was Al Ayal but the part of the caption that mentioned "vision" was a clever "hint", without really saying his name. I was exchanging emails with my friend Tzviah, a couple of weeks later and so, I asked her. I wanted to be sure and then, I was. Thanks Tzviah. Al Ayal is proof of how important it is for each one of us to live our dreams and for what is really possible, when we do.  I admire Chen Kedar for her perseverance, her strength and faith to all she believes in, as she has brilliantly used every opportunity to further her ideal in this world. I wish I was more like her and less like me. When times were challenging for her, and she faced more limitations than there were opportunities, she never stopped believing in her dreams.  If vision were like a fruit tree, Al Ayal is the choice fruit produced by the tree, lovingly tended by the tree's gardener (Chen).

What does it mean - vision? The dictionary defines vision as "an idea" or better yet, "the act or power of imagination." 

Over the last week, I had an opportunity to read Drinkers of the Wind by Carl Raswan. It's been a few years since I last read the book. When Carl Raswan's eyes were finally opened and he realizes that the Bedouin horses are the horses he has been searching for, it remains a powerful moment. Had Carl Raswan given in to the frustration of not finding what he searched for, how different the world may have been for generations of Arabian horse lovers!

"The truth slowly dawned upon my mind. The shock of the beauty of these creatures was followed by the realization that they had once been the same poor, shabby, disheveled horses which I, in my ignorance, had discarded in Nuri's camp and among the tribes of the inner desert. Here were the creatures in whom strength and beauty blended in perfection, whose proud carriage and handsome shape were indeed like that of the horses of Phidias."

Like Raswan, I am not seeing beyond the immediately obvious. Unlike Raswan, whose life was just beginning; I am approaching the autumn of my life and well,  I struggle with the feeling that I have run out of time and that it's too late for dreams, imagination and thereby, vision. And that's where I need to rewind to where this blog started, watching this man, Ke Huy Quan, finally receive the recognition that is part of the life he believed he would have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment