27 December, 2023

THIS WAS 2023

This year, I added 67 more blogs (3 more than 2022) and of this number, 85% of them were original, newly written and published for 2023. There are 522 total blogs, including this one, published since the summer of 2006 (check the Blog Archive pull down, located in the sidebar on the right hand side of the page). I published the largest number of blogs in April (10) and the smallest amount in December (3). Original content flourished for June, July and August, as I published 6 new blogs each month, more than for any other month in 2023. In return, you visited the blog more than 80,000 times this year (47,000 page views were recorded in Singapore, 20,000 page views in the United States and 2,000 views from each of the following countries: Germany, United Kingdom and Canada). As a result, all for the love of a horse blog maintained its top ten position this year (#7) in FeedSpot's list of top Arabian Horse Blogs and Websites!

If I rank the blogs by the number of page views received, regardless of when they were published, the most popular blogs of 2023 are:

  1. The Straight Babson Egyptian Arabian Horse
  2. Eye Witness: Ansata AlMurtajiz
  3. The Tamria Story
  4. Bedouin Beauty: Jibbah
  5. Major Mac V

How does the top 5 differ from the above-mentioned list, if we consider only the newly written and published blogs for 2023? 

  1. The Great Legend of MaƱana
  2. Love is in the Air
  3. Areej el Koloob
  4. The Importance of the Saqlawi Horse
  5. Safeen

In the summer of 2024, all for the love of a horse will be 18 years old! How do the favorite blogs of 2023 compare with your all-time favorites?  For the 2nd year in a row, your favorite blog of 2023: 

  1. The Straight Babson Egyptian Arabian Horse

is also the 2nd favorite blog of all time! 

What are your all time favorites? A year later, the list has not changed at all:

  1. Butterfly
  2. The Straight Babson Egyptian Arabian Horse
  3. Bedouin Beauty: Jibbah
  4. Aneesilnefous Ezzain
  5. Bedouin Beauty: The Soulful Eye of the Arab Horse

My Favorite Blogs of 2023:

  • I was looking forward to the release of Mark Rashid's new book this year, For the Love of the Horse. I have enjoyed all his previous books and his new book doesn't disappoint, it's as good as all the others but its different and not in the way you may think. It is a bit uncomfortable, as Mark introduces questions that challenge the very core of all I have studied, digested and believed in. The chapter titled New Revelations presents the previously unexplainable training challenges Mark has encountered with horses who have been inbred. I have read this chapter several times now and I find myself thinking alot about what he wrote, as applied to a few horses I have known. I expected this blog to get a little more traction than it received but maybe, like me, you are uncomfortable. I have to admit to you dear reader that I was concerned about posting it but the more I struggled with should/shouldn't, the more I appreciated the opportunity this book created to re-examine and reconsider our breed and the intimacy of our bloodlines.
  • While I appreciated the source of Safinaz blood in Safeen, I really didn't know the individual horse well, although his sons, EAI Silvereen and Shy Gafeen were horses I admired. Writing about Safeen was the opportunity I needed, to understand him better than I did. Funny, the more I read about him, the more I thought about him and the more I thought about him, the more I wished that I had bred a mare to him. Safeen's pedigree weaves together unique ancestral elements which appear less frequently in modern day pedigrees like Seef (Mashhour x Elwya), Daaldan(Fadaan x Fay Dalla) and the matriline to *Bint Serra I. Think outcross. How many more horses are there out there,  like Safeen, who will become a surprise for someone, once discovered? 
  • If there is such a thing as a favorite color, Palomino horses are my thing. I love them. I'm not really sure why, as the American cowboy, Roy Rogers and his horse, Trigger, were a little before my time. So was Mr. Ed. The only connection that I have to Palominos may be the equestrian units who are part of the annual Rose Parade, on television. As a child, I didn't understand that the Palomino color did not exist in the purebreds; although there are chestnut colored purebreds (think of Gold 'n Ali and his son, Fire 'n Ice, Cal Dorado by Cal-O-Bask or the *Rushan son, Antham) who come awfully close to the Palomino coat color. I remember My Mystic Mirage's photo, within the booklet that IAHA mailed to me. When Julie Koch posted this long-ago photo, well, a flood of childhood memories inspired me to write the 500th blog, a milestone for All for the love of a horse blog. 

As I wrote in late November, I am grateful for you dear readers, because you are the reason this blog exists. I hope that each blog will continue to inspire you with a desire to learn more about Arabian horses, so you can better understand them. And if along the way you receive equal helpings of some good old fashioned awe and wonder, well, then my part in all of this has succeeded, all for the love of an Arabian horse.
Best wishes to all for a Happy New Year 2024!

No comments:

Post a Comment