11 March, 2024

Seeds of Inspiration


A long time ago, I kept my mare in a field with a couple Thoroughbred racehorses. There was one mare in particular, Rocky, who took my breath away whenever I saw her run. The other horses tried to keep up with her and pretty soon, Rocky would lap them once, twice and then, three times. Adrenaline coursing through my body, I felt the sheer power of Rocky's massive body. In her joy and freedom, she wasn't holding anything back. She was invincible. Run, Rocky, run! 

I had blogged about Pepita a few years ago, in 2019. Bred by Janow Podlaski stud, Pepita is a 2005 Ekstern daughter out of Pepesza (*Eukaliptus x Pestka), which includes a matriline that runs all the way back to the 1810 mare, Szamrajówka, bred by one of the oldest of the Polish studfarms, Count Branicki's Biala Cerkiew Stud. Pepesza's maternal granddam is the *Bandos daughter, Pentoda, out of Piewica, a Priboj (Piolun x Rissalma) daughter out of Wlodarka, by Ofir. Piewica was bred by the Tersk Stud and exported to Albigowa Stud in the fifties. At Janow Podlaski, Piewica was credited as the root or source mare of the highly esteemed "P" line of horses.

Pepita is the mare that generated such a "buzz" in and out of the Arabian horse community when she was sold in the 2015 Pride of Poland sale for a record price of $1.4 million Euros. A mature mare, already 10-years old, she was in foal to the stallion, Pogrom, at the time of her sale. The year prior, 2014, Pepita was named the Polish National Champion mare. However, back in 2019, when I watched Pepita, turned loose and running in her paddock, none of this was so important. These "factoids" are like static on the radio, preventing the beautiful music from being heard! All I could think of as I watched the video, was that day long ago, standing by the fence, ground shaking and watching Rocky morph into the Queen of the Thoroughbreds! Today, it's a new Pepita video, this time by Arabian Insider, and Pepita, is still so breathtakingly beautiful. Her beauty and her spirit inspire me. What must it be like to be a horse? To be brave, joyful and free to show the world just who you are, without worry. Congratulations to Akmal Stud and thank you; Pepita reminds me that I knew a Queen once. 

****I am so grateful to Arabian Insider for these videos. You make my world so much better!***

No comments:

Post a Comment