I'll admit, it sounds like a silly thing to say but I first heard the term, when I began listening to Warwick Schiller's Journey On podcast. Have you been able to listen to the podcast yet? It's good, not only for the horse content but for your personal development as well. After listening to a few episodes, you may start to understand things differently, in a positive sense. So, what does "Woo Woo" mean? It's an informal slang-type term that refers to concepts, beliefs and practices that are not supported by science but rather, are mystical or even, spiritual in nature. While traditional Horsemanship may focus on biomechanics and behavior psychology, "Woo Woo" explores alternative practices to connect horses and humans together. For example have you hired an animal communicator to "speak" with your horse? That's definitely "Woo Woo." To be transparent, I have been a little "Woo Woo" here, having published a blog or two (or three) that you may say are a little "Woo Woo" (or alot) but at the time that I wrote them, I really wasn't thinking them to be "Woo Woo," just stuff I either read, heard or even, experienced over my lifetime. I am enjoying Noelle Floyd's Substack (love, love, love her podcast) which includes a recently written article concerning the presence of "Woo Woo" in the horse world.
"So when modern horsewomen begin speaking about energy, animal communication, protection stones, frequency, manifestation, Reiki, numerology, ancestral healing, or sacred contracts with horses, I do not see that as a strange new trend." - Noelle Floyd
So where am I going with all of this and why am I taking space within this sacred spot focused on the Arabian horse? It's all because of a photo but before I say anything else, let me remind you that what you are about to read is a very informal study, made by a student of the breed, me and only me, without endorsement by anyone else.
![]() |
| Ansata Nadra (Ansata Hejazi x Ansata Neoma) owned by Al Shaqab, Darryl Larson photo |
I started to notice something uniquely different with some of the Arabian horses pictured in the photos I had collected. The horses were looking straight into the camera, not in a challenging or defiant way, engaged with the photographer and making full eye contact, heart wide open and eyes full of compassion and understanding. I melted every time I saw it, as the horses were presenting themselves, no holds barred. It is how you would expect a trusting, always raised by loving people, live-in-your-tent kind of horse to look, right? Aĺl the kindness, inner wisdom and people-loving curiosity seemed to be bubbling up to the surface, visible to the world for a second or two, while radiating a loving energy like agape type love (the highest form of unconditional love), upon the onlooker. At the time, I thought it had more to do with the photographer's expertise, skill and timing and less to do with any phenomena involving the horse and her soft, dark eyes. Certainly, nothing remotely close to a "Woo Woo." In the very beginning, I called it a "look" and then, "expression," maybe a "gaze," and eventually, the recognition that maybe this was the "Ansata look" as I found the phenomenon to occur more frequently in the Ansata horses, as compared to other bloodlines.
![]() |
| Ansata Queen Nefr (Prince Fa Moniet x Ansata Nefertiti) currently owned by El Gabry Stud, Judith Forbis photo |
I was fortunate, blessed actually, to receive a copy of the collection of Raswan-penned articles, republished by Alice Payne (Thanks Kris). This book helped me to connect what I was seeing, with Raswan's unique voice. Raswan, having lived in the desert amongst the Bedouin, offered a desert perspective that was very old, born out of a necessity which required living in close proximity to the horse. At the end of the article titled, The Head of the Arabian, Raswan wrote,
"an expression in their eyes which proves that they are "thinking" (meditating), rational beings with a soul and not just subject creatures to serve us phyically."
However, Raswan did struggle to define the "look," just as I stumbled with my words to describe it. Raswan wrote additional material in another article titled, The Arabian Horse as Your Friend and Companion. One of the things Raswan said really caught my attention. He said that Ishmael saw a reflection of a deep love for God in his horse eyes. It's like living heaven-on-earth, "...thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven..."
When Judith Forbis published Born to Reign, I read the following passage about Ansata Delilah (Ansata Shah Zaman x Ansata Bint Misr),
"an independent soul marked Delilah from the day she was born. Standing in the pasture apart from her mother, she would look off into the distance at something sensed but not seen."
| After reading what Judith Forbis wrote, I began to go through the photos that I had collected, to find that more of the horses pictured in the manner I have explained, had Ansata Delilah as a common denominator, on the maternal side of their pedigree, which of course points to one of the most important mares at Ansata and from there, to the worldwide community of straight Egyptian Arabian horses. |
![]() |
| *Ansata Bint Bukra (Nazeer x Bukra), Jerry Sparagowski photo |
Sometimes the transfer of psychic powers may skip a generation, as we may see with *Ansata Bint Misr. However, in studying the available photos of *Ansata Bint Bukra (the maternal granddam of Ansata Delilah), it is possible that she also had this all-knowing, loving, intentful gaze and passed it on to her granddaughter, Ansata Delilah. Raswan also wrote about this, which I now offer to you in closing:
"For this supernatural reason, the mare is always considered supremely important among the Bedouins. A stallion can only take secondary place. The psychic powers of Arabian horses descend through mares only and are thus retained within pure Arabian horses."
Maybe dear reader, you may read all of this and dismiss the photos as nothing more than a one in a million moment, taken by a world class photographer, forever frozen in time. Or maybe, you are like me and in a fraction of a second, recognize something sweeter, something special, swirling like a fragrance around you, only to be absorbed into the core of your being. Then, you decide, after all, it is your woo woo.






No comments:
Post a Comment