31 December, 2019

Year in Review: My Favorite Photos in 2019

El Thay Mameluk (Ibn Nazeema x El Thay Mansoura)
January
One of my favorite photos is of the stallion, El Thay Mameluk (Ibn Nazeema x El Thay Mansoura), as photographed by Nicole Sachs. Bred by Dr. H. J. Tauschke of El Thayeba Stud in Germany and owned for most of his life by Sabine Von Elm. As a mature stallion, he was purchased by Mr. Talal Abdullah Al Mehri of the Aljazira stud in Kuwait, where he passed away in 2011. One of the most interesting things about El Thay Mameluk was his tenure at Babolna Stud. He sired an exceptional daughter named Taghira B (purchased by Alfabia Stud in Italy) and a son, Emiratus B, who remains with the Von Elms. I love chestnut colored horses and hope one day to own a horse with a profuse forelock, just like El Thay Mameluk.

*Aramus+ (*Nabor x Amneris)
February
This particular photo of the stallion *Aramus+ (*Nabor x Amneris), taken by Polly Knoll, is overwhelmingly significant for me. I was a child, consumed with a love for horses, when I "discovered" the photo within a complimentary issue of Arabian Horse World. I didn't yet understand the concepts of bloodline groups like "Pure Polish" or "Straight Egyptian"; those lessons would come later but there wouldn't have been a "later" for me without this photo, as it ignited a love for this breed and encouraged me to learn as much as I could about them. I really don't know how many hours I spent studying every line, every curve of *Aramus' beautiful body but the impact of this visual study very powerfully influenced an appreciation for classic Arabian horse type and a desire to find other horses who looked like *Aramus+.

Ansata AlMurtajiz (Ansata Hejazi x Ansata Samsara)
March
When I see this photo, my mind flashes back to the winter of 2013. I stood there, in Ansata AlMurtajiz's stall, eye-to-eye with him. After so much time, wishing for such an opportunity, it remains a surreal experience. I touched him. I marveled over him. I adored him. He was more beautiful than any picture I had ever seen. As I walked away, he rose on his hind legs and hung his head over the wall of his stall to look at me, as I walked down the aisle. It was a thing that he liked to do. It was a thing that he did that made him even more lovable than he already was for me. I turned and looked back at him. We made eye contact. It is a moment that I play in my mind, over and over and over. He touched my heart and I knew it would be the last time that I ever saw him. I just knew.

Nabiel (*Sakr x *Magidaa)
April
I was in High School, maybe 14 or 15 years old, when I saw this photo of Nabiel (*Sakr x *Magidaa) for the very first time. I was enchanted by the expression of this horse and while this is my favorite photo of Nabiel, to tell you the truth, I honestly don't think I ever saw a photo that didn't capture his charismatic presence. He was so photogenic! He was really powerful in this way. However, this particular photo, so early in my Arabian horse life, made me not only a fan of Nabiel but it also made me a fan of Polly Knoll's photography. Later on, when I learned that the Trapps had leased El Halimaar, it also made me a fan of their breeding program, as they were combining so many of the horses that I really admired.

Fa Halima (*Ansata Ibn Halima x Sabrah)
May 
When I see this photo of Fa Halima (*Ansata Ibn Halima x Sabrah), I remember the first time that I saw a Babson-Halima horse and how deeply I fell in love with her and because of her, I looked for others and soon noticed that this combination consistently produced horses closer to my own vision of classic Arabian Horse type. Fa Halima was bred by Robert Cowling of Houston, Texas. In 1979, she was named a European Reserve Champion mare and the following year, 1980, she became the National Champion Mare in both, America and Canada.

Haliluyah MH (El Halimaar x RDM Maar Hala)
June
The story of Haliluyah MH begins in 1994, when El Halimaar was bred to his own dam, RDM Maar Hala (El Hilal x Maar Jumana). In 1995, the sun, moon and stars aligned, opening a hole in the universe for Haliluyah to canter through. I imagine Gabriel and all of the Christmas Angels, horns in hand, ready to herald the arrival of this spectacular horse with a most heavenly fanfare. That's the auspicious beginning and yes, a bit melodramatic, I agree but you see, everything that I cherish in this breed, whether a tangible or intangible characteristic, is embodied by this horse. He is a slice of heaven, here on earth. I have collected many photos of Haliluyah over the years but this particular photo, taken by Christine Emmert at a Rancho Bulakenyo open house is my favorite of him. It makes my head feel light, my heart beat faster and my mind wander, to a place where all the horses look like him and are ready to lick you in happiness, when you stand right next to them.

Ansata Nile Echo (Ansata Hejazi x Ansata White Nile)
July 
Ansata Nile Echo was an Ansata Hejazi son out of Ansata While Nile, a granddaughter of Ansata Nile Jewel, the *Morafic sired daughter out of Falima. It was one of those "breeding nicks", a combination often referred to as a "golden-cross", as his full sister, Ansata Nile Pearl was equally as beautiful. In addition to the two Ansata-prefixed horses, Ansata White Nile produced three more full siblings in the Middle East: Shahm, Wafaa and Wardah ElKuwait . He was a charismatic stallion, his presence electrified the show ring, no matter where he was shown. He was bold and powerful in his movement; his hind end driving him forward, as he ate up the ground in front of him. Will there ever be another like him? He was one of my favorite horses ever.

Badrilbdoor Ezzain (NK Qaswarah x Azhaar Ezzain)
August
As we walked over to her stall, Badrilbdoor Ezzain was lying down, resting. It was evening and I had just arrived at Ezzain. "This is Shamsilshmous' full sister, by Qaswarah, out of Azhaar. Her name is Badrilbdoor." Usamah explained. My mind raced through all the photos stored up there in my head somewhere, trying to remember exactly which horse was Badrilbdoor. As familiar as I was with the horses of Ezzain, I wasn't prepared for their overwhelming beauty. It would be for me like a head-on collision, fierce and surely, life changing. I would not walk away from this encounter and continue being the same person. These horses were obviously different from any horse I had ever known before. They were unique. They were special. They were extraordinary. Usamah coaxed Badrilbdoor to her feet. She stretched out her front feet and pulled herself up. When she was standing squarely on all four feet, she stretched her body forward and back, lowering her head and tucking it close to her chest. For a fraction of a second, I witnessed a beauty so unexpected, so marvelous, so spectacular...that if I had blinked, I would have missed seeing it.

Fa Ali Bey (Justynn x Fa Angelita Rose)
September
Fa Ali Bey (Justynn x Fa Angelita Rose) is a 2013 stallion, bred and owned by Marilyn Lang. This photo taken by Moffatt Photography & Design is one of my favorite photos, as it captures this young stallion, in all of his exhuberance, with nature’s special effects to underscore what is, a truly magical moment. Most times, these are special moments, the horse performing privately for our enjoyment. We bear witness to the overwhelming beauty of our horses, only to remember a camera, after the moment has passed. Thankfully, Trace 'n Lisa Moffatt were around, so that this special moment could be shared with all of us. Fa Ali Bey is representative of 4 generations of Marilyn’s breeding program, outcrossed with ancestral elements from the breeding programs of AlBadeia, the Jameson’s, the Marshalls, Jarrell Mc Cracken & Lisa Lacy, the St Clair’s, Judi Forbis and of course, the Sirbasku’s. I hope that you will experience all of the joy, awe and wonder that I experience, whenever I see this unforgettable photo.

Farid Albadeia (Ameer Albadeia x Farida)
October
Favorite photo? This particular photo is such a big part of my life. For many years, this photo has been and continues to be the wallpaper for my cell phone. How many times does a person look at his or her cell phone in a 24-hour day? Farid AlBadeia is always there, like a friend who journeys along life’s highways with me, every day. He was impressively built, like a horseman’s horse. Well-muscled, he exhibited the strength that most of us expect to see in a stallion, and yet, Farid was more than a correct stallion, for all of the powerful energy radiating from his body, he also had some of the finest features which not only included his eye but also, his chiseled head, so short and wide, the fine skin accentuating the prominence of bone and vein, smaller ears and large, elastic nostrils enhancing the look of an authentic desert horse. For me, he is unforgettable and although he is no longer alive, the memory of this wonderful horse provides the inspiration that I need to face life, every day.

Tagweed (Gad Allah x Tee)
November
Tagweed was a 2004 son of the great Gad Allah (Adeeb x Omnia), out of the beloved Tee (Adl x Bint Ibtisam). Classic in type, a legend and considered the most precious of all treasure; he was a marvel of modern Egyptian Arabian horse breeding...for all of the admiration felt for Tagweed, and believe me, the love expressed for him is truly a global phenomenon, he was beyond all of those words, as they didn't fully capture the essence of who Tagweed really was or the overwhelming capacity of love felt for him by the Egypt that loved him, I mean really loved him. Saqlawi by strain, possessing a strong body, coupled with the grace and elegance that is, the very essence of this strain; Tagweed embodied the characteristics one associates with Saqlawi horses, that is, a longer back, longer legs, a longer neck that was well-set, flowing like a palm frond out of powerful, laid back shoulders and a broad, muscled chest. His head was pure enchantment and like a sculpture, finely shaped with big, black eyes, a delicate muzzle and huge nostrils. He was the quintessential Arabian dream, come-to-life and for many Egyptian breeders, he became the living standard, against which, all other horses would be measured. It is photos like Mohamed Abdo's photo, that make me fall in love with the Arabian horse, all over again.

Laheeb (Imperial Imdal x AK Latifa)
December
Laheeb, a 1996 son of Imperial Imdal (out of the Bentwood-bred mare, AK Latifa), is a most courageous horse, the closest we have in the Arabian horse community to a superhero. Really. When he was four years old, he suffered a tragic accident, breaking a bone in his right foreleg. Initially, the prognosis for his survival was not very good. He underwent two surgeries and a very long recovery, followed by an intense period of physical therapy. Throughout his treatment, there were disappointing setbacks, as well as periods of great challenges,  pain, suffering and doubt. Despite the poor prognosis, Laheeb persevered and it was through these small victories, that Laheeb encouraged everyone. His character and amazing depth of soul, inspired the team of people supporting him to keep trying. In the days following the accident, no one asked for much. However, what people did not realize was that they loved a horse who wanted and asked for more from life, than they could ever imagine. In those days and months, when it didn't seem likely that Laheeb would make it, who would have believed that three years later, Laheeb would be sound and named the judges unanimous Israeli National Champion Stallion. We are now approaching the time of year which is filled with joy, hope and promise. If ever the time was ripe for miracles, then December is that perfect time.Within a Laheeb tribute article written by my friend Tzviah Idan for Desert Heritage Magazine, Nasr said, “Laheeb is a dream horse. His disposition is unbelievable. I have never seen a stallion as gentle and as peaceful as Laheeb, all without losing a bit of any of the traits that you want in a stallion. He is tremendously charismatic and always the perfect gentleman.” And that's why I love this photo so much, for not only does it remind me of Nasr (he took the photo) but it inspires me as to what is really possible if we were more like Laheeb, filled with joy, despite the hard times he endured. If we have missed it in any other way, Laheeb now shows us the way. Don't let anyone or anything steal your joy.

***Many thanks to all of you. Without you, there would be no blog, as I derive great encouragement from all of your visits. I am looking forward to 2020 and uncovering more great stories of the horses we love most in the world. Best wishes for a happy new year!***

No comments:

Post a Comment