23 January, 2023

COURAGE: A LIFE LESSON

"In horse's eyes shine stars of wisdom and courage to guide men to the heavens." - Jodie Mitchell 
The Open House at Imperial Egyptian Stud had already begun and I was late; the drive had been much longer than I had planned. If only I had left earlier! As I made my way to the indoor arena, I passed a mature chestnut mare who was being led towards the same place I was going. I noticed the labored way in which the mare was walking. I didn't recognize her and she sure didn't look like the mare pictured in any of the photos from her 1971 US National Championship win. Imagine my surprise, when later in the day, the young girl led the same chestnut mare to the ring, unclipped the lead and Barbara Griffith, after introducing *Serenity Sonbolah, asked the audience to share their enthusiasm and appreciation, as the mare was responsive to this type of vocal adulation. "What?" I thought, "she must be kidding" but it was no joke. And just as Barbara Griffith said it would happen; I saw a transformation slowly take place. You might even call it a miracle. With every clap and shout, this mare's powerful trot grew bigger and bigger, as she collected herself, tail curled over her back, her hocks driving her forward in ground-covering strides. With nostrils dilated, a deep snort rumbled from deep within her, like a herald, announcing what would be, an unforgettable performance for all. Suspended in the air, she floated this way and a quick change of lead and, she floated that way. She was like a prima ballerina, delivering the most important ballet of her life.  The mare that I had barely noticed, as I walked past her, metamorphosed into the most beautiful mare on planet earth. A tear rolled down my cheek, as Sonbolah "flew" around the arena, enjoying every form of appreciation we gave her. How did I miss this? I quickly surveyed the audience and observed a variety of reactions, smiles, tears, while others were too stunned to even show any emotion. It was obvious that they were feeling what I was feeling too. I wondered, how is it even possible for this mare to move like this? The look on *Serenity Sonbolah's face was not like the face of the struggling horse from the morning.  Sonbolah's joy, like a raging fire that burned deeply within her chestnut-colored body, threatened to consume us all and from the ashes, we would emerge as new people, having witnessed what we believed to be impossible.  *Serenity Sonbolah gave us everything she had but she gave me more, so much more, at a time in my life that I really needed to learn to go deeper, to find something more real than I have ever known. She taught me a vitally important lesson about real beauty, way beyond all the hallmarks, the breed type, the classic look.  Sonbolah's beauty was found in her courage, more than I had ever seen in a human being or felt within myself. She still inspires me to live life joyfully, boldly and courageously as she once did. It's a lesson of a lifetime, taught by a horse, to whom I am forever grateful. 

***Everyone has that one inspirational photo that takes your breath away, makes your heart race with excitement and leaves all your hair standing on edge. This is that photo for me. I think Scott Trees is the amazing photographer who captured Sonbolah on film, so long ago. How did he keep it all together when he saw her through his lens?***

No comments:

Post a Comment