23 August, 2026

Chasing Unicorns


When I found the Arabian Essence video on YouTube, I knew from reading the auction catalogue, that the Janów Podlaski breeding parade happened on Monday, after the Summer Sale. No doubt about it, I had missed the Pride of Poland auction this year! As I watched the Janów video, little did I realize the surprise that I soon would be stumbling upon, approximately 27 minutes and 30 seconds into the video. I feel kind of silly saying this to you dear reader, after all, Pogrom, a highly decorated 2009 stallion, was leased and shown by David Boggs of Midwest Arabians and named champion in Scottsdale, Las Vegas and the US National Show rings, all in 2013. This is not a new horse, just breaking onto the Arabian scene. Although, that's what he feels like for me. For 17 years, Pomgrom has been making history, while I was lost, somewhere in a fog.

Pogrom, a son of QR Marc (Marwan Al Shaqab x Swete Dreams) was the result of the wisdom and lifetime expertise of Dr. Marek Trela. Despite the promising results seen in America, the fact that QR Marc was still young and had not had many opportunities within a pure Polish breeding program,  was like a test of faith and Dr. Trela was up for the challenge. He was committed to finding the right mare for him. Dr. Trela decided upon Pętla (Visbaden x Petra). Why Pętla? Dr. Trela explains, “we were trying to go back to the pedigree of Kuhailan Ajuz, which was lost in World War II. The idea of sending Pętla’s mother to Bábolna to be bred to Visbaden, a Russian-bred stallion on lease there, was Director Krystalowicz. We were trying to get a stallion to continue that line; we didn’t succeed with a stallion, but we did with the mare. Pętla is really a very good, strong producer." In April of 1990, Pętla foaled one of the heaviest foals born at Janów, almost weighing 125 pounds! Dr. Trela remembers the day warmly, "If you see a newborn foal that big and strong, correct and pretty, that means that something important has happened.”

It was  interesting to listen to Dr.  Trela's comments, throughout the rest of the Pogrom footage (ends at 31:40). One begins to understand the value of incorporating Pogrom in the program, for his correct conformation, including the strength of his body and legs. Not only as an individual is Pogrom built perfectly, but also, as a prepotent sire, particularly of daughters, who mature to become foundational broodmares. I believe Dr. Trela when he says,  "he is everything a Polish stallion should represent. 

Below, additionally are a few horses who also appear in the video and are connected to Pogrom as sire or grandsire, to underscore his consistency, as a breeding stallion:
  • Barbula (filly out of Bforta) @ 37:58q
  • Arabis (colt out of the Ekstern-sired Atma) @ 35:03
  • Colt foal (out of Winnica, racing program) @ 31:54
  • Europea (a Paris-sired filly out of the Pogrom daughter, Eunuria) @ 1:03:42
No horse lives forever and the reality is that Pogrom is not getting any younger and is approaching his 18th year. Pogrom makes me wish that I owned a mare, just so I could breed to him. No kidding. He is that good, no, wait, scratch that, he is recognized for siring his outstanding conformation and type onto the next generation. Plus, history will continue to reveal that  Pogrom sires mares who become influential broodmares, by establishing vibrant families of their own. In this community, I have seen too many stallions die, only to read breeders quickly express their "if only...". Well, here's a "heads-up" from me to you dear breeder...NOW IS THE TIME. Take action before it is too late and you run out of "if only" because regret, well, that's not so easy to live with. I personally know that.


***thank you to Arabian Essence, for once again providing the window to the Arabian horse world. I am a fan, for many years now. Also, thanks to Midwest Arabians for the Pogrom article. Without you, this blog would not exist.****

No comments:

Post a Comment