22 August, 2026

Pride of Poland 2026


The Pride of Poland Auction occurred on Sunday, August 9th. The Summer Sale followed on Monday morning. Although I have never had the opportunity to attend, I look forward to the auction each year and selecting my favorites from the lots offered. I had downloaded the catalogue in July and initially, skimmed over the pages, making note of the several Ekstern daughters, grandaughters and great-grandaughters. I figured that I would return to the catalog in a few days. 

It wasn't until last weekend, that I was able to finally, grab some quiet time and dive deeply into the catalogue. It was then that I realized that the auction was now past. How did that happen? And now, what does it matter which horses I liked more? I struggled with this post all week! Should I or shouldn't I continue writing what felt like old news. What is done, is done and can't be undone, right? OK, so this blog post is for the fans, who love to talk about Polish horses any time, any day.

While any of the mares offered represent an opportunity to own some of the very best horses that Poland has to offer, initially, my Pride of Poland choices were:
  • Wiosenna Miłość (Al Ayal AA x Waranga) her maternal granddam is an Ekstern daughter
  • Pila (Abyad x Piba) her maternal granddam is Pilar, a Fawor daughter. If you believe that the coat color predicts the genetic influence, Fawor was similarly colored
  • Elfira (Ekstern x Elfuria) her dam was sired by a Simeon Sadik son
  • El Gazona (Kahil Al Shaqab x Elgazonda) her dam is an Al Maraam daughter
  • Mahira (Ekstern x Mata Hari) double Monogramm
  • Efidenia (Pomian x El Fatna) her sire is a Gazal Al Shaqab son out of Pilar, her dam is an Ekstern daughter
My Summer Sale picks are as follows:
  • Foggara (Ganges x Foggia) Ganges combined with Gazal Al Shaqab & Fawor
  • Passionaria (Gazal Al Shaqab x Pianosa) there aren't many Gazal Al Shaqab daughters left, combined with Pianosa, a Eukaliptus daughter
  • Penta (Ecaho x Pepina) there aren't many Ecaho daughters left, combined with Pogrom's dam, Pętla
  • Pia (Ganges x Pianissima) a Pianissima daughter combined with Ganges
  • Pelifa (Lawrence  El Gazal x Peresta) I wasn't a fan of Lawrence El Gazal until I noticed the beautiful horses he was siring at La Movida
As I thought about the significance of each horse completely, I narrowed my choices down to my top 3: Passionaria and Penta, because the sires of these mares are no longer available for breeding and given their reputation for siring excellent daughters, that quality is maximized, as these sires have been combined with powerfully elite mare lines, the very best that Poland has to offer. My 3rd choice would be the bay Pomian daughter, Efidenia. I really like her look. I just fell in love with her. She is substantial but yet, elegant with a lot of type. And that neck! I would love to breed her to Pogrom, to further her body type for future generations, all for the love of the Polish Arabian horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment